- Size and power of cordless leaf blowers
- How do the best cordless leaf blowers compare to corded electric, gas powered, and backpack leaf blowers?
- Features to look out for in cordless leaf blowers
- Battery type
- Battery and charger included or not
- Ease of handling
- Vacuum option
- Sufficient power
- Backpack leaf blower option
Cordless leaf blowers (also known as battery powered lead blowers), offer users a number of advantages over other types of leaf blowing machines.
If you are looking for the best leaf blower, a cordless model might be the best choice for you – especially if you have a fairly small area to clear and you want a lightweight, hassle free tool to do the job.
The following should help you buy the best cordless leaf blower for you and your property’s needs.
Size and power of cordless leaf blowers
Cordless leaf blowers use electrically powered motors to do their work.
These motors get their power from rechargeable batteries.
Typically, the smaller cordless leaf blowers are less powerful than corded electric or gas powered models, so you need to be confident that one of these is powerful enough for you before you buy one.
Cordless leaf blowers are rated for power in terms of voltage. Most of the home use machines are rated between 15 and 25 volts, which is enough power to handle most blowing jobs. Although some of the ‘Pro’ models, such as this Greenworks machine are rated up to 80 volts
The main advantage of using a cordless leaf blower is its small size and light weight. These machines can be taken anywhere, and most of them weigh less than ten pounds.
The tradeoff is that the battery only lasts for a limited time before it requires recharging. Regardless, a cordless leaf blower with a fully charged battery is a powerful and easy to operate lawn and garden tool.
A word about battery power
Battery quality is critical to the usefulness of battery operated power tools – and battery technology is changing all the time. Not long ago, most cordless tools were power by nickel cadmium batteries, but now Lithium-ion batteries are pretty much the standard.
Batteries are often rate by Amps, Ah (amps per hour) and/or Volts. Volts represent the amount of potential power the battery has. Ah is the amount of current that may be drawn from the battery in 1 hour. The amount of current that can be drawn from the battery depends upon the load (or resistance). The lower the resistance, the higher the current drawn.
Thus, for example, a battery rated a 2 Ah will theoretically last for one hour if drawing a constant current of 2amp over that period (or two hours if drawing 1 amp). If the machine has to work hard (e.g. a battery-powered lawn mower having to cut long grass) more current will be drawn. In simple terms, therefore a high Ah rating should mean a longer run time. But the way batteries are designed, including protections that are included to prevent overheating, means that a 4Ah battery will not give double the power or run time when compared with a 2Ah battery. That said, in broad terms, higher Ah ratings values should mean longer runtime and additional power.
As far as battery life is concerned, most lithium ion batteries should last two to three years or 300 to 500 charges. Battery life can be diminished if the battery gets too hot, so keep your equipment in a cool place to prolong the battery life.
How do the best cordless leaf blowers compare to corded electric, gas powered, and backpack leaf blowers?
These are the main points of comparison between cordless leaf blowers and the other kinds of models:
- Cordless leaf blowers are most similar to their corded counterparts. Both types of machines run on electricity, and both types are very lightweight and quiet. The difference is that corded machines use power that comes from an electrical outlet, whereas cordless leaf blowers are battery operated. The main drawback with cordless leaf blowers is that the batteries only last for a limited period.
- Cordless leaf blowers are generally not quite as powerful as corded units, but they are infinitely portable. Corded models must be kept within range of an electrical outlet, but cordless blowers can go anywhere.
- Gas powered leaf blowers are more powerful but they are also loud and damaging to the environment. They have even been banned in some areas.
- Cordless blowers are less powerful, but they are just as portable, if not more so. Also, they are incredibly quiet compared to blowers featuring gas engines, and these days, given advancements in battery technology, the best battery blower will rival gas blowers or home use.
- While gas powered machines need to be filled with fuel from time to time, cordless blowers must be recharged between uses. Cordless leaf blowers will require much less maintenance than gas powered machines, as well.
- Backpack leaf blowers used only to be available in petrol/gasoline models. Cordless backpack blowers are bow available but and they are designed for more time-consuming jobs that involve covering larger areas and are therefore more expensive. They are ergonomically designed so that the weight of the machine is spread out over a large area of your body. But they are probably overkill for situations in which a cordless leaf blower would be adequate.
Features to look out for in cordless leaf blowers
These are the main features to think about when buying a cordless leaf blower:
Perhaps the most important feature to consider if you have decided to buy a cordless leaf blower is the battery.
The battery will determine how long you can use the machine at one time and it will have a significant impact on the machine’s total power. Lithium ion batteries tend to be the standard nowadays and you should definitely make sure you should try to find a cordless leaf blower that features a lithium ion battery instead of a nickel cadmium power source.
Lithium ion batteries are lighter, plus they offer a longer running time than other batteries. Also, lithium ion batteries will not cause the power to fade as you use the machine. You should be able to get consistent power out of this type of battery, so be sure to look for models containing the latest in battery technology.
Battery and charger included or not
You need to check whether the battery and charger is included when you are deciding on the best cordless leaf blower for your needs, or whether they are sold separately. The latter is the case, for example with this Greenworks model which means that the total price you’ll pay will be more than it might seem at first glance.
Some manufacturers make the batteries for their cordless equipment interchangeable, so this may mean that you can save money if you already have a suitable battery.
You should bear in mind that most batteries won’t run for more extensive periods when under the constant load required to power a leaf blower motor at full speed. Some may last 20 minutes or less.
You should therefore also consider whether you want to buy more than one battery. That way you can always have one on charge, ready to be swapped over when the battery in use runs out of power.
Ease of handling
You should try to find a cordless blower that is easy to hold while you use it. The main point of cordless leaf blowers is their portability, so most are fairly lightweight, but some of them are lighter and better balanced than others.
Some cordless leaf blowers offer a leaf vacuum option, where the air flow is reversed and debris can be sucked into a bag. Frankly, I’ve yet to see a cordless blower model where this works efficiently.
Finally, you will want to make sure you are buying a unit that has enough blowing power to get your job done properly. Some cordless blowers are light and inexpensive, but are weaklings when it comes to clearing debris. You should find a blower that offers air speeds of at least 120 miles per hour, if possible.
Backpack leaf blower option
Some leaf blowers can be strapped to your back like back pack, with the blower pipe extending around to teh side so that you can direct it where you want the force to go. These options are good if you have a lot of leaf blowing to do as they can take the strain from your arms, shoulders and hands. These backpack leaf blowers used to be mainly gas powered machines, but now cordless models are available, like the one below.
- Up to 18 minutes of continuous runtime on high speed with fully charged 80V 2.5Ah battery
- Up to 180 MPH of air speed and 610 CFM of air flow makes blowing through wet / dry leaves and debris a breeze
- Ideal for yards up to 1 acre
- Advanced brushless motor technology delivers more torque, runtime, and extends life of the tool
- Battery completely recharges in 45 minutes with included rapid charger
Last update on 2023-05-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The best uses for cordless leaf blowers
On the whole, these battery operated blowers are not intended for large projects. They are best suited to clearing grass clippings or leaves in relatively small areas, home yard or garden situations.
However, as mentioned above, you can increase the usability of the best cordless leaf blowers by having two or more batteries. This you can always have spare batteries charged up ready to be swapped out with the spent battery when needed.
Portability is the main selling point of these units, so they are great for taking to jobs away from the home, as well.
Cordless leaf blowers are really simple to operate while still being powerful enough to handle light to moderate blowing or sweeping work.
However, they not all models are going to be adequate for all jobs, so don’t expect them all to handle a large lawn with a thick covering of heavy wet leaves or to keep going for long enough to sweep the driveways of a large property. Look out for the more powerful ‘Pro’ models for this kind of use and/or stock up on spare batteries.
Nevertheless, cordless blowers are quite inexpensive, which means that you can purchase one without making a huge investment.
Certainly, cordless leaf blowers are not for everyone, but they are terrific tools to have around and they can help you take care of jobs that would otherwise require the much harder work of raking and sweeping.
Best cordless leaf blower recommendations
Best cordless leaf blower: US buyers
The blowers listed below are are the current Amazon best sellers and cover the range from moderate price and power to higher price and power. So these are certainly worth exploring further.
- ☢【Lightweight & Portable】The battery powered leaf blower has a very light weight only has 3.3lbs. The leaf blower cordless with battery and charger is very easy to operate with one hand. its can comfortable to hold, and convenient carry to all places. Such the electric leaf blower can be applied to both men and women, kids and old.
- ☢【Powerful Motors and Turbine Tech】Our leaf blower is equipped with a copper motor, which has a longer-lasting life and lowers energy consumption than ordinary motors; also, the cordless leaf blower with battery and charger uses turbocharging technology to deliver a maximum air volume of 130 MPH/210CFM. Meanwhile, the cellular radiator design at the bottom effectively reduces the risk of overheating- safer and is more durable.
- ☢【Full Accessory】Our cordless leaf blower with battery provides you with a 1-stop solution, we provide you with 1x Leaf Blower+1x 2.0Ah lithium battery + 1x fast charger’ at one time; This electric leaf blower is equipped with the fast charge technology so that the battery can be fully charged in only 1 hours; The body of the leaf blower has added a battery indicator light to display the battery status at any time.The total working time can last for 15 mins (High Speed) & 30 mins (Low Speed).
- ☢【Advanced Battery System】20V Li-Ion battery can be charged for over 500 times. The overheating/overcharging/explosion protection functions provide a stable battery performance. A single charge can guarantees continuous output of maximum power for more than 15 minutes.The leaf blower designs gets rid of troublesome wires, so that you will not be restricted in the process of operation.
- ☢【Versatile Use】Economical small wireless leafblower with high performance and durability is a real household gardening tool for cleaning work in the garage, patio, porch, sidewalk, car, balcony, and deck.
- 【Up to 2x Batteries】Tired of the time consuming of leaf raking and the back pain? Tired of the limitation of cord, the noise from the bulky blowers? Consider getting the LAZYBOI cordless leaf blower with two batteries for tackling your lightweight jobs. Within 30 mins, you can get your work done in any terrain, even for roofs and gutters.
- 【Faster Charging and No Hassles】 Sometimes customers got annoyed by waiting too long to charge the battery. But with the LAZYBOI leaf blower, you will get the convenience of 1-hour fast charging. The cordless leaf blower set comes with a fast charger and two 2.0ah 21v batteries which keeps 40-min work for the low speed mode and 30-min work for the high speed mode.
- 【Advanced Motor with Turbo Tech】LAZYBOI cordless leaf blower uses advanced turbo technology, which effectively boosts the maximum air speed to 150MPH. Although the turbo mode uses a lot of power (which drains the battery faster), it is quite useful for loosening up those stubborn patches of debris that get stuck and otherwise refuse to budge. Our LAZYBOI blower is absolutely a lightweight and cordless leaf blower that brings a better user experience than others'.
- 【Lightweight and Portable】 Lightweight design makes it perfect for one-handed operation for easy maneuverability. Weighs only 3.38 lbs and features an ergonomic body that naturally moulds to the direction of blowing, you will experience 30% less user fatigue during operation. The upgraded rubber grip of the leaf blower is not only non-slip when used, but also provides you with just enough support to make your work easier.
- 【Battery Maintenance】 Product Safety is Top 1 to consider, we've implemented overheat protection in our batteries to ensure consumer safety. To prolong battery life, please wait 5-10 minutes after discharge before charging, and fully charge the battery before storing it for 3+ months. The LED indicator shows red while charging and green when fully charged.
- Energy-efficient and Powerful Motor - Mueller leaf blower is propelled by an upgraded brushless motor with advanced turbo tech that produces up to 140mph air velocity. The 20V motor is more compact and much quieter than non-cordless models, and able to generate higher torque from less energy consumption while saving you from repeated maintenance.
- Highly Versatile - Blow debris or grass clippings off of driveways, sidewalks, patios, parks, parking lots, etc. Remove debris from corners, around joints, and between bricks. Gather grass clippings, straw, or leaves into piles. Conserve water by using a power blower instead of hoses for many lawn and garden applications, including areas such as gutters, screens, patios, grills, porches, and gardens.
- Super Light and Compact – Do you need to maximize yard productivity? This 3.3 lbs handheld leaf blower cordless will be the choice you won’t regret. It allows one-hand grip on the rubber-wrapped handle that is both non-slip and gentle to touch. When operating, the body naturally tilts towards the blowing direction and keeps perfect balance to reduce user fatigue, so you can turn your garden & home duties into a light chore. A detachable tube is convenient for storage and easy cleaning.
- Two Gears and Fast Charge – Easily switch between 2 gears, depending on the task you want to do. With Mueller UltraStorm leaf blower you get 2.0ah 20v battery that will fully charge in only 1 hour (please do not charge more than 5h at a time).
- Superior Quality With Mueller Garden - We are here to offer you only the best quality products designed to make your life easier. If you need any help, please feel free to contact us. Our unparalleled 24/7 live telephone customer support is ready and waiting to assist with anything you need!
- Easily clears debris from hard surfaces like driveways, decks, and garages
- Air speed up to 130 miles per hour
- Operates on a 20V Max 1.5 Ampere hour Lithium Ion battery that holds its charge for up to 18 months. Noise rating (dB): 61
- Lightweight with a low noise design. Maximum initial battery voltage (measured without a workload) is 20 volts. The nominal voltage is 18
- Part of the 20 volt max system
- ❉【5.0Ah Battery and Fast Charger】 - Fully charged the battery in 2.5 hours by fast charger. The quantity of green light indicates battery capacity, 1-2 green lights means low battery, 3-4 greenlights means full of power.
- ❉【320CFM 180MPH Larger Airflow & Blowing】 - BHY leaf blower is as powerful as a gas leaf blower. We managed to realize this large blowing speed and 0-9m³/min air volume within this battery-operated blower at a cheaper cost than other monsters.
- ❉【6 Adjustable Speeds and 2 Section Tubes】 - Rechargeable variable speed leaf blower with super strong wind and removable extension tube provide strong power. An upgraded double-length tube bringing you a better cleaning experience and making operation easier.
- ❉【0-20000RPM & Lower Noise to Support Various Job】 - Thanks to the variable speed trigger, you can easily switch your job from blowing leaves in your yard, sweeping light snowfall from your sidewalk, sweeping debris, pet hair in your house and blowing dust from hard-to-clean corners.
- ❉【Broad Usage】 - Sweeps debris from shops, garages, driveways, outdoor yards and garden fallen wet leaves or clears hard to reach surfaces. BHY home dryer blower also capable of effectively removing snow, dust, debris, spider webs and drying your car surface.
- 530 CFM
- Compact, Light-Weight Design: 7.4lbs with 2.5Ah Battery
- Variable Speed Dial: 250 CFM / 400 CFM / 530 CFM
- High-Efficiency Brushless Motor
- Weather Resistant Construction (ipx4)
- POWERFUL MOTOR: Cordless leaf blower is up to 130mph and 140cfm in performance since adopting the top turbofan technology that maximizes air output. With strong power, the wireless electric leaf blower will more efficiently and effectively on garden care and backyard landscaping work.
- ULTRA LIGHT COMPACT BODY: Extra light leaf blower only 3.4lbs in weight so it is easy to hand held by one hand. Antiskid handgrip pursues optimal cozy, minimal pressure, and reduced tiredness when handheld. Mini portable leaf sweeper can reach some hard-to-clean nooks, helps you clean shop, workshop, and gutters, achieve better maneuverability.
- LARGE CAPACITY BATTERY POWERED: 20V max rechargeable air blower with about 10min run time in high speed 2 which is suggested to clean the patio. Up to 50min run time in lower speed 1 which is suitable for cleaning hard surface like sidewalk, driveway, or turning. (Charge the battery first after you received the package for a better experience.)
- SIMPLE ASSEMBLY: Install two blow nozzles and a battery, one push to start the airblower. The removable handy leaf blower can be stored in a tiny space indoor and is portable for outside like cleaning up leaves, flower, debris, dust, grass, snow, and pine needle in outdoor camping.
- VERSATILE USE: Economical small wireless leafblower with high performance and durability is a real household gardening tool for cleaning work in the garage, patio, porch, sidewalk, car, balcony, and deck. Take the little electric leaf blower kit, enjoy an excellent convenient life.
- [Cordless Design]: MZK leaf blower is designed to be wireless, giving you the freedom to move and operate without being tethered to a cable. With no wires to worry about, you can take on any cleaning task without restrictions, from your home to your yard.
- [Long-lasting Battery]: MZK leaf blower features a powerful battery that can run for up to 15 minutes at maximum power output. With a single charge, you can tackle your cleaning tasks with confidence, without worrying about the battery life running out.
- [Lightweight and Portable]: Our product weighs only 3.9lbs, making it incredibly lightweight and easy to carry around. With its one-hand operation, you can easily maneuver it for extended periods without straining your muscles. Our product is the perfect cleaning tool for anyone who wants to get the job done with minimal effort.
- [Powerful Motor]: Our product features a robust motor that can reach speeds up to 130MPH/150CFM. This ensures that you can effortlessly handle fallen leaves, debris, and dirt in your garden, garage, and driveway. With its powerful motor, our product delivers top-notch performance and reliable results every time.
- [Suitable for Multiple Scenarios]: This leaf blower is versatile and can be used in a variety of scenarios. It's great for sweeping debris from shops, garages, driveways, outdoor yards, and gardens. It's also effective in removing snow, dust, debris, spider webs, and drying car surfaces.
- CORDLESS LEAF BLOWER - Includes PWR CORE 20 Brushless 20V Leaf Blower, 4.0Ah Lithium-Ion Battery and Charger, Nozzle Attachment and Easy Storage Bracket.
- LONGER RUN TIME & BATTERY LIFE — Industry leading PWR CORE 20 lithium battery technology wraps each cell with cooling material to keep the battery powering on for 25% longer run time and 2X battery life.
- POWERFUL PERFORMANCE – The digital brushless motor provides efficient, high-performance power without the hassle of gas.
- VARIABLE SPEED WITH CRUISE CONTROL - Provides control for everything from clearing flower beds or your backyard, plus cruise control to stay powered on.
- TURBINE FAN - Maximizes leaf blower performance for up to 400 CFM of clearing power.
- 3.4LBS ULTRA-LIGHT COMPACT BODY, EASY FOR WOMEN TO HOLD - Can be operated with one hand. One button can control the leaf blower switch, no need to press the button all the time, giving you a comfortable experience.
- 2 PCS RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES UP TO 100 MINS RUN TIME - Powered by a 20V-2Ah lithium ion battery and with a charger. The battery run time is up to 100 minutes at low speed and 20 minutes at high speed.
- POWERFUL COPPER MOTOR TURBINE ENGINE - The cordless leaf blower use top turbofan technology to improve air output, the performance can be up to 130mph and 140cfm, suitable for indoor cleaning and outdoor leaf blowing.
- 2 ADJUSTABLE SPEEDS FOR WIDER USE - At low speed 1 can reach 60 mph and at high speed 2 can reach 130 mph, suitable for blowing debris from the car and driveway.
- SIMPLE TO ASSEMBLE - Install two blow tubes, insert the battery, and one push to start the leaf blower. Adjustable blow tube length for a comfortable experience for people of all heights.
Last update on 2023-05-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Best cordless leaf blowers: UK Buyers
UK buyers can find a similar selection here:
Martin Cole has been an avid gardener for more than 20 years and loves to talk and write about gardening. In 2006 he was a finalist in the BBC Gardener of the Year competition. He is a member of the National dahlia Society.
He previously lived in London and Sydney, Australia, where he took a diploma course in Horticultural studies and is now based in North Berwick in Scotland. He founded GardeningStepbyStep.com in 2012. The website is aimed at everybody who has been bitten by the gardening bug and wants to know more.
Gardening Step by Step has been cited by Thompson and Morgan, the UK’s largest mail order plant retailer, as a website that publishes expert gardening content.
Check out my comprehensive step by step guide, with plain language explanations and ultra-useful images and illustrations. This is for you if you love dahlias and want to the best out of the dahlias you grow.
1 thought on “How to buy the best cordless leaf blower”